Liposuction, which is a surgical removal of body fats, is one of the popular plastic surgeries in America.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, almost 250,000 Americans underwent liposuction in 2014.
The most important factor to consider before you go for a liposuction surgery is the quality of the procedure. You do not want a liposuction that will develop scarring or any other complication.
You want a liposuction that will leave you smiling and with high confidence levels.
After quality, another very key factor to consider before you decide to undergo liposuction is the cost. Ironically, how much a liposuction costs, to some extent, tells a lot about the quality of the procedure.
However, you do not have to always go for an expensive liposuction. If there is an opportunity to cut down on the cost of a liposuction, you need to go for it.
Excluding anesthesia and other fees, liposuction averagely costs between $2,000 and $3,500 per treatment area. Plus other costs, for a single treatment area, a liposuction will cost about $9,200.
Factors influencing Liposuction Cost
To arrive at the total liposuction cost, several factors are considered. This includes:
- Surgeon’s experience and reputation: Most reputable surgeons are expensive. However, it’s better to choose a reputable surgeon than a lowly-qualified surgeon because by so doing you will be avoiding chances of errors. Revision surgery for a poorly done liposuction is very costly than getting a liposuction done by a reputable surgeon.
- The number and/or nature of treatment regions: For example, abdominal liposuction is cheaper than midsection, flanks and thighs liposuction. Below is a table for the approximate cost of liposuction surgery for different body parts.
|Body area||Lower range($)||Upper range($)|
|Full body(abdomen +arms +back +breasts +buttocks +chin + cheeks +neck +inner& outer thighs/knees+ hip/waist)||21,000||60,000|
|Inner Thighs & knees||3,300||6,500|
|Stomach/upper & lower abdomen||3,000||8,000|
- If liposuction is done together with other procedures such as tummy tuck. It is cheaper to do liposuction with other procedures.
- Type of liposuction performed: unlike traditional liposuction, lasers and radiofrequency liposuctions give better results. However, the new technologies come at a higher cost. Traditional liposuction involves the use of a cannula which is cheaper compared to lasers or radiofrequency. On the other hand, smart liposuction, commonly referred to as Smartlipo, is a type of liposuction that uses a single laser fiber to melt away excess body fat deposits and tone the body. Smartlipo reduces the recovery time to two days. Averagely, a smart lipo costs about $5,000. However, the price can fluctuate depending on the size of the treatment area.
Does Insurance cover Liposuction?
Liposuction is a cosmetic procedure. Most patients undertaking liposuction want a lean, well-toned and youthful body.
For these kinds of patients, no insurance covers are given they will have to pay for liposuction from their pockets.
Most surgeons accept cash, checks, credit cards, and sometimes third-party financing companies. There are other surgeons who offer their own payment plans.
However, in some instances, liposuction can be covered by insurance:
- If it’s done to remove the development of fats as a result of chronic steroid treatments.
- If the excessive fats are as a result of Cushing syndrome –a condition which leads to the development of a fatty hump between the shoulders as a result of prolonged exposure to high levels of the hormone cortisol.
- If the stubborn fats are due to Lipedema, an odd condition which leads to legs accumulating fatty tissue, as a result, impacting on mobility.
- if it’s done to reduce breasts’ sizes for women with overly large breasts that make them experience back pains or
- any other medical reason prescribed by a certified doctor.
Apart from the surgeon’s fees, other liposuction costs include:
- Surgical facility fees
- Pre-operative medical tests
- Anesthesia or local anesthesia –local anesthesia costs less than general anesthesia. Local anesthesia is recommended if the treatment area is small. However, for large-scale liposuction, general anesthesia is recommended.
- Supportive surgical garments.
- Pain relievers, compression garments, and therapy, which are sometimes used to hasten liposuction recovery, influences the cost.
Most surgeons quote liposuction costs differently. There are those who use the global liposuction price, which is the sum of surgical and no-surgical fees plus all related costs, while other surgeons only quote the surgical fee.
Remember to inquire about the prices given. Also, do not rely on telephone estimates because they are not precise.
Lastly, be wary of surgeons who quote so lowly –their low prices might be an indication of the low-quality services they are likely to offer.
Cost of other related treatments.
Tummy tuck cost – $5,992.